- Study Testing First Medication To Treat Autism March 19, 2018
A drug being tested in a nationwide clinical trial could become the first to increase the ability of those with autism to connect socially and overcome other symptoms of the disorder.
- Autism Symptoms Rarely Isolated, CDC Researchers Say March 16, 2018
Nearly all children with autism are dealing with at least one other condition — and often several — ranging from anxiety to ADHD, sleep, behavioral and GI issues, a new study suggests.
- Autism Insurance Mandates Trigger Influx Of Service Providers March 13, 2018
States that pass laws requiring health insurers to cover ABA therapy for kids with autism are seeing spikes in service providers entering the market, advocates say.
- Special Educator’s Use Of Facilitated Communication Lands Dad In Jail March 9, 2018
The father of a boy with special needs spent 35 days in jail after his son's teacher used a largely discredited method to claim the boy — who speaks little — had been abused.
- Autism Drama ‘The Good Doctor’ Awarded New Season March 8, 2018
With sky-high ratings, network executives are green-lighting a second season for a prime-time drama centering on a physician on the spectrum.
- Marijuana Complicates Guardianship For Teen With Severe Autism March 7, 2018
As a last-ditch effort, one family turned to marijuana to stem the self-injurious behaviors of their daughter with autism. The drug worked, but complicated their quest for guardianship.
- Autism-Related Challenges Persist Well Into Adulthood, Study Shows March 5, 2018
In one of the first studies to look at the lives of people with autism as they hit middle age, researchers found adults struggling with independence, employment and relationships.
- Feds Name New National Autism Coordinator March 2, 2018
The federal government has a new point person for autism-related research, services and supports.
- Vigils To Honor People With Disabilities Killed By Caregivers February 27, 2018
About 150 people with disabilities were killed by their parents, relatives or caregivers within the last year alone. Vigils across the country will remember these victims.
- Increasingly, Businesses Tailoring Employment To Adults With ASD February 26, 2018
As parents search for employment opportunities for their adult children with autism, some are creating businesses built to accommodate their kids' special needs and maximize their talents.