Downs Syndrome News
- NIH Boosts Down Syndrome Research Funding October 15, 2018
Federal officials are committing millions of new dollars to Down syndrome research and they say even more money may be on the way.
- Early Aging Presents Challenges For Those With Down Syndrome October 9, 2018
They helped blaze the trail for community-based housing, but nearly six decades into raising their son with Down syndrome, one couple is facing the challenge of a child who's out-aging them.
- Businesses Increasingly Hiring People With Disabilities October 5, 2018
With employers facing a tight labor market, falling unemployment rates among people with disabilities suggest more hiring managers are opening their eyes to this untapped pool of workers.
- Theater Program Gives Stage To Children With Disabilities October 2, 2018
A program pairing performers with special needs alongside peer mentors to stage well-known musicals is now in 16 states with sights on becoming the "Special Olympics for theater."
- Lawmakers Look To Improve Care For Kids With Complex Conditions October 1, 2018
About 500,000 kids — including many with developmental disabilities — are considered to be medically complex. Proposed legislation aims to make it easier to coordinate their care.
- Netflix Defends Use Of ‘Retarded’ September 24, 2018
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is defending a segment featuring the word "retarded" that airs on the streaming service saying that such language falls within the bounds of "creative expressi …
- New Documentary Questions IQ As A Measure Of Intelligence September 18, 2018
A film challenging what it means to have intellectual disability is set to screen at theaters across the country.
- Former ‘SNL’ Star In Hot Water Over Down Syndrome Comments September 13, 2018
While making the rounds to promote his new show, a former "Saturday Night Live" funnyman is taking heat for using the term "Down syndrome" in a derogatory way.
- Families Of Kids With Special Needs Say Military Is Failing Them September 11, 2018
Eight years after legal requirements were set in motion to "enhance and improve" support for those with special needs, families say the military has failed to follow through.
- Initiative Highlights ‘Differences’ Over ‘Disabilities’ August 31, 2018
One city's community-wide public awareness campaign is looking to shift perspectives about people with developmental disabilities and help ensure that more groups engage this population.