Intellectual Disabilities News
- When It Comes To Special Ed, Quality Can Depend On Zip Code December 13, 2017
The law says students with disabilities deserve to learn. In some districts, parents say that's not happening.
- Mom, Daughter With Down Syndrome Win $45,000 In Cooking Contest December 8, 2017
A 5-year-old with Down syndrome and her mother will take home thousands after their recipe won an Uncle Ben's cooking contest for school-age children.
- CDC Says Developmental Disabilities Are On The Rise November 29, 2017
An increasing number of American children have developmental disabilities, the federal government says, even as autism and intellectual disability rates remain largely steady.
- Residential Facility Accused Of Abuse, Neglect October 31, 2017
People with intellectual disabilities from 31 states living at a residential facility are "at risk of serious injury, death, psychological harm and trauma," an advocacy group report finds.
- Should A Disability Affect Who Gets Organ Transplants? October 25, 2017
At least six states have laws aimed at making sure people cannot be kept off organ-transplant waiting lists solely because of their disability and more legislatures may soon follow suit.
- Amazon To Pilot Comedy Featuring Actors With Down Syndrome October 24, 2017
Amazon is introducing a new half-hour comedy from the creator of "Sex and the City" that features a slew of actors with Down syndrome.
- Manager Accused Of Forcing Man With Intellectual Disability To Work October 17, 2017
A restaurant manager is accused of using force, restraint and coercion, among other means, to compel a man with intellectual disability to work as a buffet cook for more than five years.
- Nonprofit Wants To Create 130K Jobs For People With Disabilities September 27, 2017
A new effort with the backing of some major names in the advertising industry is launching with an ambitious goal: create 130,000 jobs for people with developmental disabilities by 2020.
- Group Home Evicts Man With Special Needs For Using Medical Marijuana September 26, 2017
A 34-year-old was abruptly evicted from a group home after his doctor recommended medical marijuana to treat his seizures. With no place to go, he landed in a hospital emergency room.
- Down Syndrome Reality Show Takes Home Emmys September 12, 2017
A documentary series chronicling the lives of seven young adults with Down syndrome is the winner of multiple Emmy Awards.