Intellectual Disabilities News
- NIH Boosts Down Syndrome Research Funding October 15, 2018
Federal officials are committing millions of new dollars to Down syndrome research and they say even more money may be on the way.
- Early Aging Presents Challenges For Those With Down Syndrome October 9, 2018
They helped blaze the trail for community-based housing, but nearly six decades into raising their son with Down syndrome, one couple is facing the challenge of a child who's out-aging them.
- Businesses Increasingly Hiring People With Disabilities October 5, 2018
With employers facing a tight labor market, falling unemployment rates among people with disabilities suggest more hiring managers are opening their eyes to this untapped pool of workers.
- Theater Program Gives Stage To Children With Disabilities October 2, 2018
A program pairing performers with special needs alongside peer mentors to stage well-known musicals is now in 16 states with sights on becoming the "Special Olympics for theater."
- Netflix Defends Use Of ‘Retarded’ September 24, 2018
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings is defending a segment featuring the word "retarded" that airs on the streaming service saying that such language falls within the bounds of "creative expressi …
- New Documentary Questions IQ As A Measure Of Intelligence September 18, 2018
A film challenging what it means to have intellectual disability is set to screen at theaters across the country.
- Behavioral Crises Landing People With Disabilities In ER September 14, 2018
They aren't injured or physically ill, but tendencies to act aggressively and violently mean some people with developmental disabilities have nowhere to go other than the emergency room.
- Former ‘SNL’ Star In Hot Water Over Down Syndrome Comments September 13, 2018
While making the rounds to promote his new show, a former "Saturday Night Live" funnyman is taking heat for using the term "Down syndrome" in a derogatory way.
- Families Of Kids With Special Needs Say Military Is Failing Them September 11, 2018
Eight years after legal requirements were set in motion to "enhance and improve" support for those with special needs, families say the military has failed to follow through.
- Trump Draws Backlash For Reportedly Using ‘R-Word’ September 5, 2018
Disability advocates are none too pleased amid reports that President Donald Trump called Attorney General Jeff Sessions "mentally retarded."