Intellectual Disabilities News
- Reunited: Woman With Intellectual Disability Finds Son Taken At Birth July 17, 2018
When Jean Searle gave birth while living in an institution, she was forced to give up her child. Now, more than three decades later, she finally got to meet him.
- Down Syndrome Reality Show Up For Emmys July 17, 2018
A reality television show focusing on the lives of those with Down syndrome is in the running for multiple Emmy Awards.
- Actor With Down Syndrome Starring In Movie With Shia LaBeouf July 13, 2018
A 33-year-old with Down syndrome is making a name for himself working alongside Hollywood notables Shia LaBeouf, Dakota Johnson and David Arquette.
- More Colleges Enrolling Students With Intellectual Disabilities June 27, 2018
In 2004, just 25 colleges across the country welcomed students with intellectual disabilities on their campuses. By this fall, that number will grow to 270.
- New York Woman Is Nation’s First Lobbyist With Down Syndrome June 26, 2018
There are lots of people trying to sway federal lawmakers, but no one else is quite like Kayla McKeon, Capitol Hill's first-ever registered lobbyist with Down syndrome.
- Down Syndrome Reality Show Returns With Wedding On Tap June 19, 2018
A wedding is on the horizon when a reality television show following the lives of adults with Down syndrome comes back later this summer.
- Book Helps Explain Alzheimer’s To Those With Down Syndrome June 15, 2018
At least half of people with Down syndrome will develop Alzheimer's, experts say. Now a book is helping explain the diagnosis in a way those with the chromosomal disorder can understand.
- After 42 Years In Institutions, A Home Of Her Own June 5, 2018
A woman with intellectual disability who has been housed in state institutions for over four decades may finally get a chance to live in the community after a judge ordered her release.
- Nation’s Largest Employer Misses Disability Hiring Goal May 22, 2018
The U.S. government is falling short on a plan to dramatically increase hiring of people with intellectual disability and other conditions, according to a new report.
- After 42 years In Institutions, Woman Seeks A Home Of Her Own May 15, 2018
Institutionalized for over four decades, Lucretia Felder wants nothing more than to live in a home of her own, but so far no service provider has stepped up to support her in the community.