Cerebral Palsy News
- June 18, 2020Pandemic Upends The Lives Of People With Disabilities — And Of Their Caregivers
Already facing a shortage of caregivers, the pandemic is further wreaking havoc on the lives of people with disabilities who rely on others in order to work and live independently.
- June 8, 2020People With Developmental Disabilities More Likely To Die From COVID-19
A new study is offering some of the first details about how the coronavirus is impacting people with developmental disabilities and the picture is not pretty.
- May 8, 2020Hospital No-Visitor Policies Endanger People With Disabilities, Advocates Say
Disability advocates are alarmed that no-visitor policies are forcing people with developmental disabilities — including those who are nonverbal — to go it alone at hospitals across the nation.
- May 8, 2020Against The Odds, Teen With Cerebral Palsy Overcomes COVID-19
After contracting coronavirus from one of her home nurses, a teen who has cerebral palsy, a seizure disorder and chronic lung infections spent 26 days in the hospital but ultimately recovered.
- April 28, 2020Coronavirus Creates New Worries For People Who Depend On In-Home Care
Some people who were living independently have returned to live with family. Others continue to receive in-home services, but the coronavirus has made them and their support workers cautious.
- April 8, 2020Coronavirus Frays Safety Net For People With Severe Disabilities
With programs closed for the foreseeable future, many families are now forced to care for loved ones with severe disabilities at home without much help, if any at all.
- April 3, 2020For Those With Special Needs, Social Distancing Presents Hurdles
The practice of social distancing can be hard for many with disabilities to understand and it conflicts with decades-long efforts to fully include this population in their communities.
- February 24, 2020Ed Department: More Students Being Served Under IDEA
The number of American schoolchildren receiving special education services is on the rise and they're increasingly being served in mainstream classrooms at least part of the day.
- February 21, 2020CDC Finds Developmental Disabilities More Common In Rural Areas
Children living in certain areas are more likely to have developmental disabilities, according to a new CDC report, and where a child lives significantly impacts how much help they receive.
- February 10, 2020As Caregivers Age, People With Disabilities See Few Housing Options
A national study finds housing choices are limited for people with developmental disabilities who often get little say about where they might live when they leave home.