Cerebral Palsy News
- April 3, 2020For Those With Special Needs, Social Distancing Presents Hurdles
The practice of social distancing can be hard for many with disabilities to understand and it conflicts with decades-long efforts to fully include this population in their communities.
- February 24, 2020Ed Department: More Students Being Served Under IDEA
The number of American schoolchildren receiving special education services is on the rise and they're increasingly being served in mainstream classrooms at least part of the day.
- February 21, 2020CDC Finds Developmental Disabilities More Common In Rural Areas
Children living in certain areas are more likely to have developmental disabilities, according to a new CDC report, and where a child lives significantly impacts how much help they receive.
- February 10, 2020As Caregivers Age, People With Disabilities See Few Housing Options
A national study finds housing choices are limited for people with developmental disabilities who often get little say about where they might live when they leave home.
- January 28, 2020Craft Brew Pub Thrives, Thanks To A Secret Ingredient: Workers With Disabilities
At Brewability, a craft beer pub run almost entirely by people with disabilities, the bartenders have autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and other conditions.
- January 21, 2020Couples With Disabilities Navigate Red Tape On Way To Altar
Marriage often means sacrificing much needed government benefits for people with developmental disabilities, but a proposed law could change that.
- January 17, 2020Woman With Cerebral Palsy Pens Script For Disney
She has cerebral palsy and talks via a communication board on her wheelchair, but that's not stopping Erin Feeney who just saw her first script for Disney's "Doc McStuffins" come t …
- January 10, 2020Group Home Residents Often Live In Costly Isolation
People with disabilities living in group homes are supposed to be integrated into the community and enjoy the same freedoms that others have in their own homes, but that's not always the case.
- December 10, 2019Why Those With Disabilities Wait Years For Programs They Need To Live On Their Own
Despite a court order requiring one state to shrink its waiting list, most adults with developmental disabilities wait seven years or longer for services.
- November 22, 2019Doctors Making Virtual House Calls For Those With Special Needs
Aiming to ease the experience of visiting a doctor, a new program is allowing people with developmental disabilities to access medical and mental health care without leaving home.