Developmental Disabilities News
- April 7, 2020How Autism Families Are Coping With The Pandemic
In a new national survey, families of children with autism say that services have been severely disrupted due to coronavirus, but they are adapting and even finding some silver linings.
- April 7, 2020Coronavirus Outbreak At Institution Sickens 75
An institution housing over 440 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is a case study for how coronavirus can quickly overwhelm a facility not set up to handle a pandemic.
- April 7, 2020State Backs Off Promise To Ban Prone Restraint In Schools
Less than six months ago, one state imposed an emergency ban on secluding students alone and on floor restraints. But, under pressure from a handful of schools, officials have now eased up.
- April 6, 2020Caregivers May Be Eligible For Paid Leave Under COVID-19 Relief Law
Parents who must stay home from work to care for their adult children with disabilities due to coronavirus-related closures may qualify for paid leave, federal official say.
- April 3, 2020Amazon Urged To Prioritize Food Deliveries To Group Homes
Amazon is being asked to help ensure that people with developmental disabilities living in group homes and other community settings can access necessities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- April 3, 2020For Those With Special Needs, Social Distancing Presents Hurdles
The practice of social distancing can be hard for many with disabilities to understand and it conflicts with decades-long efforts to fully include this population in their communities.
- April 2, 2020Parents Of Kids With IEPs Worry About Regression
Isolated at home with few services to help, some parents of those with disabilities say they are terrified that their children's progress will evaporate.
- April 1, 2020Stimulus Plan Falls Short For People With Disabilities, Advocates Say
A $2 trillion coronavirus stimulus plan signed by President Donald Trump offers some benefits to people with disabilities, advocates say, but may also prompt unprecedented changes to IDEA.
- March 31, 2020‘Fancy Nancy,’ ‘Sesame Street’ To Air Autism-Themed Episodes
A pair of children's television shows are set to highlight the experiences of those with autism.
- March 31, 2020As Institution Becomes Coronavirus Hot Spot, Families Struggle With Separation
At a home for 440-plus people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that contains the largest cluster of COVID-19 cases in Texas, no visitors are allowed and residents must remain.