Developmental Disabilities News
- July 9, 2020Protections Affirmed For Patients With Disabilities During Pandemic
Federal civil rights officials are further asserting that people with disabilities should receive medical care during the COVID-19 pandemic that's free of discrimination and stereotypes.
- July 8, 2020Netflix To Debut Autism Dating Show
A new documentary series is taking an intimate look at the experiences of people with autism in the dating world.
- July 7, 2020Face Mask Exempt Cards Citing ADA Are Fake, Justice Department Says
Federal officials have issued multiple warnings about cards and flyers circulating online that falsely claim to exempt people with disabilities from wearing face masks.
- July 7, 2020Judge Sides With Disney Over Disability Access At Theme Parks
In the first lawsuit to go to trial alleging that changes to Disney's disability access policy are discriminatory, a federal judge has ruled in favor of the company.
- July 7, 2020Man’s Coronavirus Death Raising Questions About Care For People With Disabilities
Disability rights advocates said they have concerns that a man with disabilities died because a hospital did not value his life as much as an able-bodied person's.
- July 6, 2020Majority Of States Failing To Meet Obligations Under IDEA
Less than half of states are doing what they should to serve students with disabilities in compliance with federal special education law, the U.S. Department of Education says.
- June 26, 2020Senate Urged To Pass COVID-19 Relief For Those With I/DD
As coronavirus cases across the nation rise again, advocates say federal efforts to address the unique needs of people with disabilities during the pandemic are needed as much as ever.
- June 26, 2020Disability Service Providers On Brink Of Collapse
Nonprofit executives in one state say the coronavirus has ravaged their operations, resulting in six-figure monthly losses, layoffs and rapidly depleting cash reserves.
- June 25, 2020Early Intervention Experts Worry The Pandemic Has Hurt Kids With Special Needs
Referrals to early intervention services have plummeted as the COVID-19 pandemic has kept children from day care and other places where concerns about developmental delays often emerge.
- June 24, 2020Lyft Settles Disability Discrimination Claims With Justice Department
Lyft is agreeing to change its ways after being accused of denying rides to people with disabilities in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.