Downs Syndrome News
- April 3, 2020For Those With Special Needs, Social Distancing Presents Hurdles
The practice of social distancing can be hard for many with disabilities to understand and it conflicts with decades-long efforts to fully include this population in their communities.
- April 2, 2020Parents Of Kids With IEPs Worry About Regression
Isolated at home with few services to help, some parents of those with disabilities say they are terrified that their children's progress will evaporate.
- February 27, 2020Down Syndrome Treatment Often Requires Traveling
Access to Down syndrome treatment is uneven across the nation, with many who have the chromosomal disorder living hours from the nearest specialty clinic, new research suggests.
- February 24, 2020Ed Department: More Students Being Served Under IDEA
The number of American schoolchildren receiving special education services is on the rise and they're increasingly being served in mainstream classrooms at least part of the day.
- February 21, 2020CDC Finds Developmental Disabilities More Common In Rural Areas
Children living in certain areas are more likely to have developmental disabilities, according to a new CDC report, and where a child lives significantly impacts how much help they receive.
- February 14, 2020School Calls Cops On 6-Year-Old With Down Syndrome
When a girl with Down syndrome pointed a finger gun at her teacher and said 'I shoot you,' the police were called even though the school recognized she had no intention of harming anyone.
- February 10, 2020In First, Actor With Down Syndrome Presents At Oscars
On Hollywood's biggest night of the year, an actor with Down syndrome joined the ranks of A-listers to present an Academy Award.
- February 10, 2020As Caregivers Age, People With Disabilities See Few Housing Options
A national study finds housing choices are limited for people with developmental disabilities who often get little say about where they might live when they leave home.
- January 28, 2020Craft Brew Pub Thrives, Thanks To A Secret Ingredient: Workers With Disabilities
At Brewability, a craft beer pub run almost entirely by people with disabilities, the bartenders have autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy and other conditions.
- January 23, 2020Trump Administration Throws Support Behind Down Syndrome Abortion Ban
The Justice Department is backing a state ban on abortions of those with a prenatal Down syndrome diagnosis, arguing the law would prevent disability discrimination.