Downs Syndrome News
- NIH Funding For Down Syndrome Research Balloons September 30, 2019
With millions of new dollars for research on Down syndrome, federal officials have effectively doubled their investment in understanding the chromosomal disorder in the last year alone.
- Hair Salon Styles Itself As Special Needs Specialist September 27, 2019
At a new salon serving those with special needs, stylists are expected to be patient and every detail has been considered down to the silent clippers and the wheelchair-friendly carpet.
- Some In Disability Community Wary Of Advocate’s Campaign For Congress September 11, 2019
The former head of the National Down Syndrome Society is facing questions about her time leading the organization as she seeks a U.S. House seat largely based on her record with the group.
- Girl With Down Syndrome Comes Home With 6 Bite Marks After First Day Of School September 10, 2019
The family of an 8-year-old girl with Down syndrome wants action after she returned home from the first day of classes with six bite marks on her face, arms and legs.
- ABC Set To Premiere Show With Down Syndrome Storyline September 5, 2019
A new drama headed to prime-time television this month prominently features a character with Down syndrome.
- Mom Sought College Program For Son With Down Syndrome, Then Helped Create One September 3, 2019
Realizing that there were no university programs for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities anywhere near her home, one mother set out to establish one.
- More States Requiring Insurers To Cover Developmental Disabilities August 26, 2019
After the widespread success of state insurance mandates for autism treatment, a grassroots effort is underway to do the same for other developmental disabilities.
- After 4 Seasons, A&E Pulls Plug On ‘Born This Way’ August 23, 2019
The end is near for an Emmy-winning television series chronicling the lives of young adults with Down syndrome.
- Can An Actor With Down Syndrome Change Hollywood? August 13, 2019
Zack Gottsagen, who has Down syndrome, is the improbable star — alongside Shia LaBeouf and Dakota Johnson — of a feature film opening in theaters across the country.
- Disability Rights Advocate Launches Campaign For Congress July 30, 2019
The former president and CEO of the National Down Syndrome Society is hoping to win a U.S. House seat from Kansas.