Downs Syndrome News
- Down Syndrome Reality Show Set To Wrap December 6, 2019
A groundbreaking reality television show documenting the lives of young adults with Down syndrome is coming to an end.
- Google Seeks Help From People With Down Syndrome December 3, 2019
From Siri to Alexa, voice assistants are everywhere, but the technology tends to miss every third word that people with Down syndrome say. Now a new effort is underway to change that.
- Doctors Making Virtual House Calls For Those With Special Needs November 22, 2019
Aiming to ease the experience of visiting a doctor, a new program is allowing people with developmental disabilities to access medical and mental health care without leaving home.
- Day Care Chain Settles Suit After Expelling Girl With Down Syndrome November 22, 2019
A national day care provider settled a lawsuit brought by the Justice Department after a girl with Down syndrome was kicked out when she couldn't conform to a corporate timeline on potty training …
- Santa Offering Sensory-Friendly Events Nationwide November 21, 2019
Ahead of his big night, hundreds of special events across the country will offer kids with disabilities a chance to visit with Santa Claus in a calmer setting.
- TV Season Set For Record High Disability Representation November 15, 2019
There are more characters with disabilities set to appear on prime-time television this season than ever before, according to a new report, though representation still falls far short.
- How This Peanut Butter Falcon Changed The Face Of Education November 12, 2019
On his road to becoming the lead actor in a major motion picture, Zack Gottsagen, who has Down syndrome, first had to blast through roadblocks thrown by a resistant school district.
- Grassroots Movement Educating First Responders On Special Needs Interactions November 6, 2019
Spurred by the death of a man with Down syndrome at the hands of off-duty sheriff's deputies, families are making it their mission to educate first responders about people with disabilities.
- Lyft Offering Rides To Job Seekers With Disabilities November 4, 2019
In an effort to help people with disabilities access job training and get hired, one of the nation's leading ride-sharing services plans to offer free or discounted rides.
- Future Uncertain For College Programs Serving Students With Disabilities October 30, 2019
Federal support for many colleges serving students with intellectual disabilities expires next year, and programs are scrambling to identify new sources of funding.