Intellectual Disabilities News
- Down Syndrome Reality Show Set To Wrap December 6, 2019
A groundbreaking reality television show documenting the lives of young adults with Down syndrome is coming to an end.
- Google Seeks Help From People With Down Syndrome December 3, 2019
From Siri to Alexa, voice assistants are everywhere, but the technology tends to miss every third word that people with Down syndrome say. Now a new effort is underway to change that.
- Doctors Making Virtual House Calls For Those With Special Needs November 22, 2019
Aiming to ease the experience of visiting a doctor, a new program is allowing people with developmental disabilities to access medical and mental health care without leaving home.
- Day Care Chain Settles Suit After Expelling Girl With Down Syndrome November 22, 2019
A national day care provider settled a lawsuit brought by the Justice Department after a girl with Down syndrome was kicked out when she couldn't conform to a corporate timeline on potty training …
- Santa Offering Sensory-Friendly Events Nationwide November 21, 2019
Ahead of his big night, hundreds of special events across the country will offer kids with disabilities a chance to visit with Santa Claus in a calmer setting.
- High-Stakes Medicaid Assessments Upend Lives Of Families With Disabilities November 20, 2019
A computer-based assessment was supposed to make it easier for families to apply for Medicaid waivers in one state. Instead, many have seen their benefits arbitrarily slashed.
- TV Season Set For Record High Disability Representation November 15, 2019
There are more characters with disabilities set to appear on prime-time television this season than ever before, according to a new report, though representation still falls far short.
- Bank Began Hiring People With Disabilities 20 Years Ago, And It Paid Off November 13, 2019
For two decades, a team of people with intellectual disabilities has provided support services for what is now Bank of America, saving the company money while boasting its lowest turnover rate.
- How This Peanut Butter Falcon Changed The Face Of Education November 12, 2019
On his road to becoming the lead actor in a major motion picture, Zack Gottsagen, who has Down syndrome, first had to blast through roadblocks thrown by a resistant school district.
- Online Matching Service Pairs Adult Roommates With Developmental Disabilities November 11, 2019
An online service that's believed to be the first of its kind is helping people with developmental disabilities find compatible roommates and settle into homes independent from their families.