Intellectual Disabilities News
- Feds Urged To Take Action On Disability Bias In Organ Transplants October 10, 2019
A government agency is calling on the Trump administration to clarify that individuals with developmental disabilities should not be disqualified from receiving life-saving organ transplants.
- NIH Funding For Down Syndrome Research Balloons September 30, 2019
With millions of new dollars for research on Down syndrome, federal officials have effectively doubled their investment in understanding the chromosomal disorder in the last year alone.
- No Charges After Man With Intellectual Disability Killed At Costco September 30, 2019
The parents of a man with intellectual disability who was fatally shot by an off-duty police officer during an run-in at a Costco store say they are outraged that no charges are being filed.
- Hair Salon Styles Itself As Special Needs Specialist September 27, 2019
At a new salon serving those with special needs, stylists are expected to be patient and every detail has been considered down to the silent clippers and the wheelchair-friendly carpet.
- CDC Records Spike In Kids With Developmental Disabilities September 26, 2019
The number of American children with developmental disabilities "increased significantly" in recent years, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Feds Issue Guidance On Postsecondary Programs For Students With Disabilities September 18, 2019
The U.S. Department of Education is weighing in after confusion forced some students with disabilities to withdraw from or forgo applying to postsecondary programs.
- Alert System For Missing People With Disabilities Is Going Unused September 17, 2019
Three years ago, one state created an Amber Alert-style system to help find people with disabilities who go missing. But it's never been used despite three recent cases with tragic endings.
- Some In Disability Community Wary Of Advocate’s Campaign For Congress September 11, 2019
The former head of the National Down Syndrome Society is facing questions about her time leading the organization as she seeks a U.S. House seat largely based on her record with the group.
- R-Word Enters 2020 Presidential Race September 10, 2019
A Democratic candidate for president is apologizing for laughing and praising a man who described President Donald Trump's actions as "mentally retarded."
- Girl With Down Syndrome Comes Home With 6 Bite Marks After First Day Of School September 10, 2019
The family of an 8-year-old girl with Down syndrome wants action after she returned home from the first day of classes with six bite marks on her face, arms and legs.